Friday, February 16, 2007

this always happens...

This is an old post that I started while in Orlando a couple of weeks ago. . . .

So I'm in Orlando, Florida at a Rightnow.org event called Fusion which is a conference for 20 and 30 year olds to find something to do with their lives that will make an eternal difference. It's always an amazing time, but it leaves me feeling like I'm not doing enough. . . .and that my intelligence and therefore vocabulary are lacking severely. Today, I had the opportunity to sit in on a discussion about homosexuality and the church and how those two fit together. It all started after Dan Kimball led a talk on this topic in a breakout session that ended up going on for about 2 hours. When he came upstairs everyone wanted to know what was being discussed. He started elaborating on what went down, and got Todd Phillips (pastor of Frontline Church in D.C.), Don Miller (well known author and personal "ahhhh" guy), Margaret Feinberg, and a couple of the Rightnow guys (Brian Mosley and Marc McCartney) all involved in the discussion. It was deep. And nobody came up with an answer to any question that was asked. The discussion only brought up more questions. I felt like I was watching an episode of Lost. It was generally agreed upon that we should love the people who struggle with homosexuality and treat them with respect.

This is my very most favorite part of being involved with LeadNow and Fusion events. It makes me sad that everybody can't experience this when they attend these events. My mind comes away so full that it takes me a while to think through what I've accumulated. The speakers all come from different places and different life situations, and bring so many new viewpoints to the table. I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but they certainly stretch my thinking. It kind of brings me to a place where I crave more info about the topics they spoke on. I feel like my world is consumed with learning about Islam right now, and that it's taking all of my free reading time. However, I know that that takes precident over my info-gathering about the other stuff for now. It's necessary for me to be knowledgeable about that.

No comments: